Monday, July 6, 2020

Chinese Novel on Reality of Bullying

I started to come back to the hobby of reading. Usually I go "book hunting" BookSale you can really find gems at very affordable price and in good condition. But since it is quarantine I opt to online published novels, I go to Novel Update site.

  

Just today, I come upon a sad reality. I usually don't read school life stories since I'm not a youth anymore (truth hurts). I also thought that the obstacles encountered by characters are medicore since they are not living outside the school, that they are still pampered, protected and developing in the school. But, reading this novel slapped me of hard to perceive but is now a reality. The novel is Chinese with English translation "The Youthful You Who Was so Beautiful".




I was intrigued by the title, description and genre. The title seems it's romantic story, the description is very short I can't picture what the author wants to convey and the genre inclines me to read how much is the degree of drama and tragedy. I really don't like tragedy stories but good things there is cheat, there was one in the review that says it is happy ending. Another that push me to read this is that it is adapted to movies, so it seems very good stories.

The novel portrays the feeling of someone who experiences bullying - her helplessness in the situation she's in and how did she cope up with the bullying. It shows how the adults regard bullying: a teacher who could only offer words of comfort but not protection, bystanders who become blind, acquaintances who choose not to lend a hand. It also tackles the issue of law that protects the minor when they commit excessive acts. Even though there is substantial evidence that can be considered as crime, the perpetrators only had minor punishments. This had left a question is the penalty justifiable (Epilogue 2). I never thought school can be described as "community of biological animals" in which they prey on the weak. I've never experienced this environment during my teens, and reading this novel had me thinking how much the youth and institution has deflected from the Education. I am just thankful that there is someone who is willing to sacrifice and share the pain with the school girl. He had been the factor how the girl able to be strong.

Another that got made this novel deep impression is during the crime investigation. Yes there was murder in this novel. I don't want to give spoiler so I will just say that you will be impressed by the deep connection of the two main characters and the deep feeling of the boy for the girl. I also think that the author don't want to just end in the "cased solve". The author give other conjectures that would make the main characters fearfully cunning/smart, if it is true.

Just advise when you read this, be prepared for the excessive abuse and hang in there!!!

After reading this I was reminded of one episode of Hyouka, during the school festival. They solve the case of the what the alumni's last word is, he was a victim of bullying too, Spoiler: at the end they discovered the last word: Ice Cream. Can you connect the dots?

I really am mulling of the cause of predation relationship in school. There are many factors but I think parental guidance is a big factor. Parents have responsibility to shape at early age the children to be good person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment