Monday, May 6, 2019

A Mother's Agony

https://svgsilh.com/image/1293443.html

Mother's Day falls on this month of May started in United States on May 12, 1908. This tradition was created by Anna Jarvis. This special day is dedicated in honor to all mothers in the world. Also month of May is when Flores de Mayo fall which is dedicated to our Heavenly Mother, Mary. 


I can not comprehend the depths of responsibility of being a mother though I can relate how far they can sacrifice for their children looking at my mother. I am thankful to God for giving me my mother who endured so much for our sake. I saw her cried, shivered because she was caught up in the rain, get sick due to so much stress and belittled because of debts. Despite my mother's agony I saw strength as she smile to assure us everything will be okay. I also thank Him for giving us Mama Mary to be our Mother. For a mother the greatest agony is seeing your child suffer. I can't imagine what Mama Mary felt when she saw her Son's [Jesus] scourged Body with Crown of Thorns and hear all the insults and profanities thrown by people to Him; how she was able to walk toward Mount Calvary seeing Him carry such heavy Cross. Every time I reflect on the Fourth Sorrowful Mystery [Carrying of the Cross] I always recall the heart wrenching time Jesus meets His Mother. And the greatest of her sorrow as she witness Her Son's Death on the Cross and hold His Dead Body afterwards. It is not written on the Bible, but I think during the three days before the Resurrection she agonize tremendously though she know her Son will rise again. I also think she couldn't close her eyes without remembering His suffering and death, I even suspect she was not able to sleep in that 72 hours. These two women whom I am familiar with their heartaches and additionally, a mother I encountered just a few days ago.

Virgin of  the Seven Sorrows


 Ate Susan is in dire situation that she admits she was in the brink of losing her mind because of her problem. She has a 16 year old daughter, Teresita, who has stage 2 cancer. Teresita had just her operation and in need of blood transfusion on that very day. She needs transfusion before 4pm or else she will die because of blood poisoning. But, she has AB blood a rare blood type that is difficult to acquire. Ate Susan had asked for Red Cross and blood banks but she could not find any available blood. She tried other places but it was closed because it was Sunday. At last she found supply Perpetual Succour Hospital costing Php 6,800 unfortunately she don't have enough money to purchase it, she lacked Php 1,400. So she went to PCSO (Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office) for financial assistance. In there, her priority number is 300+ which means her daughter would certainly be dead due to blood poisoning before she can get help. Listening to her story I can't help but pity with her situation. She even asked me if I can lend her shoulder to cry on because she don't have mother to lean on anymore. Imagine the life of your child might end within hours and all means seems hopeless despite your effort. She only needed Php 1,400 more but where can she find it? Her husband left them long time ago, she don't have mother - whom she can find comfort  and all her money even exhausted was still not enough for 1 blood bag. Oh how she feel aggrieved being poor. We are both strangers but knowing her and her story gave me deep impression why we should respect and honor all responsible mothers. She is experiencing physical pain due to her arthritis but this pain pales in comparison to her heartache thinking of her daughter. She swallow her pride, become thick-skinned (as she quoted) approached me, a stranger to ask for help all for her daughter.

God never abandon His children thus I think that my encounter with Ate Susan is His intervention. He came to her aid. I am a member of Jesus to Mankind (JTM) Prayer Group and we meet up on weekends @ 1pm for crusade prayer meeting at St. Joseph Church in Mabolo. The 1pm prayer meeting was delayed because the venue was locked thus permitted my encounter with Ate Susan. I was sitting on the bench waiting for my fellow JTM members when she approached (1:20 pm). Initially, her intent is to talk to my two other members but they took too long to comeback so I initiate to talk to her. She narrated everything. She went to all offices and her last resort is in St. Joseph. I asked her why in St. Joseph as there are many places which cater people who needs help. She said some of these places are closed since it is Sunday and the one who advised her is the relative of the patient beside her daughter's bed in the ward. That person said that instead of waiting in PCSO it is better to try St. Joseph as there are people who will help her there. She doesn't hold any assurance that people attending in St. Joseph will really help but she kept talking to God and expressing her sufferings and her petition not to take her daughter away from her. There are only 3 of us JTM members fortunately, after a while other members came thus we are able to raise fund for the remaining Php 1,400. 

Just minutes after giving her the money and hail cab for her (2:15 pm) the person, Sis Lucia, who have the key came (2:30 pm). At the end of the prayer meeting I discovered that in the morning Sis Lucia already unlock the venue because she knew we will be using it but her husband locked it when he came back to retrieve something. Of course it can be said that everything are just coincidence. But Ate Susan's failed attempts to find blood and raise fund, the advise to go to St. Joseph and the mistake of Sis Lucia's husband all coincide to save life. April showers bring May flowers. The heat we [JTM] endure waiting for keys was rewarded of happiness of helping and Ate Susan's agony, a mother's agony, was rewarded by what she direly need.

Trust in the LORD because that is the vessel of His Divine Mercy. He is faithful in His promise that He is with us and on the darkest part of our life He is closest to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment